Re: Help needed on getting XFree86 running

Tom Hesp wrote:

Dear all,

Although I have quite some Unix background I am relatively new to Debian.

I am trying to get the Xfree86 xserver running on my PC with onboard Intel
I810 video chip set but whatever I try to do it fails. I have searched the
archives of this mailing lists and several FAQs and tried a number of
configuration suggestions provided, but alas, to no avail.

I included copies of my XF86Config-4 file and a copy of the log file.

Anyone out there who could give me a hint?

Thnx in advance

Tom.

#=========== Start of XF86Config-4 ===================
	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
Try setting to "false"

	DefaultDepth	24
Try setting to a lower default, or try setting the res to a lower setting:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
	EndSubSection

(EE) Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)

Try "modprobe agpgart" and then try starting X; if that works, put "agpgart" in /etc/modules.

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

So apparently your problem is video related. Try the suggestions above and let us know.

--
Kent