Re: /usr/sbin/pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1

On Thursday 14 August 2003 12:28 am, Shaul Karl wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:24:31PM +0200, Frederik Ferner wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:01:40 +0300, Shaul Karl <shaul@actcom.net.il>
wrote:
> > >     $ /usr/sbin/pppd call provider dryrun
> > >       /usr/sbin/pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > >     $ ypcat hosts
> > >     127.0.0.1       localhost loopback rakefet
> >
> >                                          ^^^^^^^
> > I'm not sure but this might cause a few problems. AFAIK it's better to
> > change this line to:
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost loopback
>
>   Indeed this was it. Are you aware to other the other problems that the
> previous settings might cause? Other then the ppp problem the previous
> settings seemed to work fine. Can anyone explain what is the problem
> here?

Not much of an insight, but I had a similar thing yesterday setting up BIND.
Seems something in the Debian set-up scripts is adding hostnames to localhost
by default.  When I removed the hostname (and put it into the following line
"192.168.0.27	mashtela.eisham   mashtela"), BIND suddenly started to work.
Looks as though the default set-up should be changed.

--
richard