ATI Radeon 9000 question

I've just moved back from slackware to Debian and I'm running into a few problems.

Version 4.1 of Xfree86 doesn't support my graphics card, an ATI Radeon 9000. After installing Debian 3.0 I'm stuck with no x-windows. This leaves me with two options one of which I've tried but I'm having a problem with.

Since I have a dual boot system with windows xp I went to ati's website and downloaded the drivers for my card that are used with version 4.1.0 of Xfree86. The only problem is linux doesn't see my winxp drive. I've added /dev/hdb1 /winxp vfat user,noauto 0 0 to my fstab file but when I try to mount /winxp or /dev/hdb1 it tells me mount point /winxp doesn't exist. That is correct isn't it? I was hoping I could access the driver file that way and use alien to convert the rpm file into a .deb file.

My second option is to get xserver-common 4.2.0 and xserver-xfree86 4.2.0 from unstable and use that. Will I have to switch my entire system to testing if I do that? And if so what do I need to put in my list.sources file so that apt will get the right packages.

TIA
lameth