Re: [OT: Elfquest]

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:16:14PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:44:48PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> >
> >>I live about 45 minutes from one of those "Sweetwater"-named towns
> >>mentioned by another poster. How it got that name with the gyp-y water
> >>in the area is beyond me. (One of the town's main industries is a gypsum
> >>plant -- go figure.)
> >
> >Gypsum: calcium sulphate... you have really hard water which is good
> >for rearing pigeons?
>
> Thankfully, that 45 minutes worth of distance makes a huge difference in
> water quality. As to whether that water's good for pigeons, I dunno.

Probably - young pigeons often suffer from calcium deficiency, which
is one reason (though not the only one) for the pigeons you see around
with deformed feet. When I'm hand-rearing one I add a pinch of chalk
to the feeds, which prevents this problem.

Chemistry master sa chalk is calcium carbonate and FIZZ with acids
wich is wot make fire extingushers squirt ect. So i pinch piece of
skool chalk and put in botle of vinegar at lunch table nuthing hapen
chiz. Turns out skool chalk is reely gipsum chiz chiz chiz.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons