Error in Deselect (fwd)

We have a internal Debain mirror in our institute.
When I try to perform the operations

Update
Install

The following error message is displayed.

apt-config: relocation error: /usr/lib/libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5.so.3.3: symbol
_ZNSt9basic_iosIcSt11char_traitsIcEE4initEPSt15basic_streambufIcS1_E,
version GLIBCPP_3.2 not defined in file libstdc++.so.5 with link time
reference

installation script returned error exit status 127.
Press <enter> to continue.

Please tell me what I can do to fix it. I am not a member of this mailing
list so please CC a reply to me.

Thanx,
Manish Nair