Re: gif's, the Gimp, various viewers, and Impress

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 13:42, Chris Halls wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:54:59AM -0500, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> > I used OpenOffice.org's Impress (a power-point-like application) to make
> > a really nice slide show, and exported it to html.
> >
> > It works great.
> >
> > Except that the slide control buttons, a series of .gif's, are messed up
> > somehow.  Or my computer is messed up somehow.
>
> I'm sorry to say, the code to create the compressed .gifs is patented and we
> had to disable it.  I wasn't actually aware that Impress has the option to
> create GIFs for export, although I won't have time to look at disabling it
> for a while.
>
> I don't know what version of OOo you're using, but on 1.1rc I get the option to
> export the graphics as JPG, which should be better quality and should
> actually work.

There is an option for creating jpg's when you export, and I select it.
But that seems to only pertain to the slides themselves.  The buttons
for moving forward and back through the slideshow are still exported as
.gifs.

I'm running OOo 1.0.3 - if there is an apt source for a newer rev in the
testing distribution, let me know!!!

So, they are compressed gifs, and there must be some library that all
these different apps (the viewers, galeon, gimp) depend on and it got
upgraded and . . . .  OK - I get it now.

Thanks

madmac