Re: Remote Filesystem Administration

Todd Cole said on Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:58:06AM -0400:

> I have a Debian machine that is only accessible remotely via SSH (no
> keyboard or monitor attached).  In order to perform filesystem maintenance
> with e2fsck, I believe I need to put the machine into single-user mode, but
> with SSH running.  (Currently when I try to run e2fsck in run level 2 I
> receive messages that the "device is busy.")

You're getting "device is busy" because the filesystem is mounted rw.

You don't have to put the machine into single-user mode necessarily; you can
fake it:

Shut down all services except for sshd.

Remount your partition as ro (man mount for details).  Run fsck on your
partition.  Pray.

When done, just shutdown -r now the machine (it's always a good idea to verify
that a machine will reboot properly after maintanence).

> Can someone give me a hand and tell me what they are doing that accomplishes
> this safely?

Well, I don't do this, but I'm not running ext2, so I don't have to fsck.
Journals and backups for me!