rxvt/aterm not displaying symbols typed with Mode_Switch

Guys, what should I do, I am helpless!

I have two systems, and did xmodmap modifications on each, such that
my Windows key does a Mode_Switch and thus changed my Keycodes such
that pressing e.g Win-a produces an ä (a with two dots, Umlaut,
diaeresis, whatever you want to call it). In xedit, mozilla, and
xterm, these work just fine.

However, it doesn't work in aterm or rxvt on one of the two systems,
while it works just fine on the other.

Both systems run identical software:

ii  aterm          0.4.2-5        Afterstep XVT - a VT102 emulator for the X w
ii  xfonts-100dpi  4.2.1-6        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-100dpi- 4.2.1-6        100 dpi fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 106
ii  xfonts-abi     1.0.2+cvs.2002 Some fonts shipped with AbiWord
ii  xfonts-artwiz  2.5            X fonts created by Artwiz, TigerT, and Danie
ii  xfonts-base    4.2.1-6        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base-tr 4.2.1-6        standard fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 10
ii  xfonts-bitmap- 8.5-3          ETL 16dot bitmap font for X
ii  xfonts-biznet- 3.0.0-14       100 dpi BIZNET ISO-8859-2 fonts for X server
ii  xfonts-biznet- 3.0.0-14       Standard BIZNET ISO-8859-2 fonts for X serve
ii  xfonts-intl-eu 1.2-4          International fonts for X -- European.
ii  xfonts-intl-ph 1.2-4          International fonts for X -- Phonetic Alphab
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.2.1-6        scalable fonts for X
ii  xfonts-terminu 4.03-1         Fixed-width fonts for fast reading
ii  xserver-common 4.2.1-6        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-6        the XFree86 X server
ii  xfree86-common 4.2.1-6        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure

both systems have the same settings for Xdefaults, the one for
Xterm*font being:

  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-15

and both machines load the Fonts in the same order in XF86Config-4.

Moreover, the problem is reproducible even after X-forwarding an
aterm window from the non-working machine to the working one. Thus
it can't be a problem with the X server.

I am therefore 99% sure that the problem lies with aterm/rxvt, but
I can't imagine why it should -- the installed software is identical
on both systems.

I was trying to produce an strace diff between the two, but I cannot
because (and this may be significant) while I can run `strace aterm`
on the system where it *does not* work, if I try to strace on the
system that accepts the special characters on the aterm/rxvt
console, I get:

  execve("/usr/bin/aterm", ["aterm"], [/* 78 vars */]) = 0
  trace: ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, ...): Operation not permitted

However, e.g. `strace ls` works just fine, and so does `strace
xedit`.

Thus there is a difference between the two aterms (I believe), or it
may be that the grsecurity patches on the non-working system (where
strace works) (Linux 2.4.21 with grsec 0.9.10 patches) are newer
than the patches on the working system (where strace does not work)
Linux 2.4.20 with grsec 0.9.x (unknown)). However, grsecurity logs
everything it does, and there are no logs created when someone
attempts `strace aterm`.

So I am clueless. Where should I go from here?

Thanks,

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"montag, why do you burn books?"
"it's a job like any other, pay is good and there is a lot of variety."
                                                -- ray bradbury (f451)