Re: VIA Soundcard Driver - skipping, failing

Hi Matt,

FWIW, I had similar troubles with my integrated VT8233 AC97 (rev 80) with
both the 2.4.20 OSS and pre-0.9.2 ALSA drivers.  I ended up sticking with
ALSA and the performance has improved in each rev.  I'm currently using the
0.9.4 ALSA driver and am now happy enough that I've stopped considering the
purchase of a cheap SBLive card.

Useful info on building your own ALSA deb from the source:
  <http://64.253.105.26/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541>
The 0.9.4 alsa-source package is available in unstable.

Good luck.

-- Brad

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Matt Elder wrote:

> Problem:
>
> I am having trouble setting up my VIA soundcard. Whenever I attempt to
> play a sound file, I either get massive skipping, skipping at the end of
> the file, or no sound at all. I think this has something to do with the
> sound card's buffer - perhaps it's not getting flushed properly, but
> that's just a guess.
>
> I have tried using both the VIA82cxxx sound module that comes with the
> Linux kernel, and the ALSA snd-via82xx driver.  This is my story.
[snip]

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department