Re: What this error mean?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
> kernel-image versus kernel-source.

    Yes, and it is well known and well documented that when you install Linux
with a prebuilt kernel that two things are going to be true.

1: The kernel is going to be far larger than needed as it is loading as many
modules as possible to ensure as wide a range of hardware detection as
possible.

2: The kernel is going to have certain features turned off which could cause
problems booting or problems with data.  IE, when the decision is either
compatibility or speed compatibility is chosen.  DMA transfers is one of those
things which can cause data loss on older drive or cause drives to flat out
not work.

    Recompiling one's kernel to fit the needs of your machine.  First off
you'll be freeing up memory by not even loading the stubs for the unused
modules.  Secondly you'll be able to turn on common performance enhancing
features such as specific MB calls and DMA for modern hard drives.
Complaining that a prebuilt kernel doesn't have these is... telling.  Finally
since kernel-package is the same program used to make the prebuilt packages
the only difference between a "Debian" kernel and a "non-Debian" kernel, when
using that package, is the contents of the .config file.  Building the kernel
in the Debian way, to me, makes it a Debian kernel, regardless of what .config
says.