Newbie imapd Question

Hi there,

I have been running postfix on my server for a while and I am able to get mail to my accounts just fine. However, I want to put in an imapd server, so I decided to aptitude install of cyrus-imapd. That install seemed to work properly. Now I would like to just run it stand alone without any inetd, so I just type in:

/usr/sbin/imapd and I get
* OK host Cyrus IMAP4 v1.5.19 server ready

But if I nmap the system I don't get anything on port 143 at all. Is there a log or something where I can see what is going wrong? I can pass the server commands through the command but if I open up another terminal and try to telnet to localhost on imap it does not respond.

Thanks in advance,
Curtis