Re: how NOT to work with debian

Trust me when i say by killing X you have not done ANYTHING that bad. this can all be fixed ease most likely.

if you let debconf change your XF86Config-4 and did not use the correct video driver in the install then that could be your problem. There are some other possiblities but i would start with the ol XF86Config-4 though.

cheers
-Howell

Richard Lyons wrote:

I previously today posted my problem with KDE breaking. Not getting any quick help, I tried to use aptitude to update, thinking that if the KDE supplied with Knoppix were to be updated, it would be reconfigured and solve my problems. Well aptitude certainly found a stack of things to update, and seemed happy enough with what it did. But now I cannot start xwindows at all. I get a big debian logo and that is all. I've tried with an existing user, and also created a new user in order to eliminate the possibility that old config info was interfering. Exatcly the same result.

What this means is that I have basically killed my computer. All the applications I use are GUI. The only approach I know to this is to re-initialize the partition, and re-install from the Knoppix CD. In effect, that means that the availability of the wonderful apt system in my ignorant hands foces me to freeze the installation and avoid any upgrade. But that would defeat the objective of moving to a debian based distro. So what can I do to get back a working system?

The apt Howto doesn't seem to offer me any guidance. I also have limited time for this, as I've already wasted a day on it.
Advice anyone?