Re: Re : problems with using dpkg on new installation

Hello, Siward,

I finally installed a different version of debootstrap, and everything started to work. Maybe the first version I tried installing (twice) did not install all that was necessary to get the base system installed. I got hung up on installing the kernel, however, but I found out that I had to mount proc manually, (running chroot) even though it would show up when I ran "mount" with no arguments. I ran across that tip on the mailing list. I still haven't gotten the system to boot up on its own; somehow I do not have LILO configured right.

I have chosen to install Debian this way because I want to learn something about linux and computers. I installed Redhat on one of my hardrives using a CD, but this really didn't teach me anything about computers and the way the linux network works.

On a side note, perhaps you could tell me how to use the mailing lists. I have read the instructions on the Debian pages, and (believe) I have followed them correctly. I have tried subscribing three times, by using the web form, and by sending an email to subscribe, and yet I don't get the mail. Also, when I have sent e-mails to the debian-users list, less than half have appeared in the archives. Also, is there not an automatic way to reply to emails and have them appear in the archives, or do I have to manually address each one to the list?

Thank you for replying.

Allasso

Siward wrote:

Hi Alasso,

you wrote :
Seem to get a lot of circular dependencies that won't resolve.

apt   depends on libc6, libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2, libdb2
libc6 depends on dpkg
you didnt post a try to install dpkg

apt is smarter than dpkg, but it uses dpkg to do the install work.

if you do run into two packages that depend on eachother,
  then you need to install these two packages together,
  so you mention both names as arguments to dpkg.

i have installed debian a couple of times,
  and i have never needed to install packages like apt by hand
  (that is : packages in sections required or base)
  because i installed from CD, and that booted me right into the installer.
i you can (even temporarily) connect a CD drive to your box
  then this seems like a much more efficient way to do it.

hope this helps,

Siward