Re: Unusual idea..

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 01:03, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@math.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > You can never convert it into a single unique number. That can be proved
> > to be impossible.
>
> No, it can't.  Counter-proof: let the MP3 represent a single number,
> base 256, where the first byte is the lowest-order digit, second byte
> next lowest order, etc.  Every unique MP3 is now a unique (really,
> really big) number.

Thats nice, and might be close to the truth, numerically. The problem is
that this is true as long as you seriously limit your domain.
Without limiting the possible signals I can build a signal you can't
produce a unique number for whatever encoding you use.
But you are right, since we are talking about a very limited domain in
this case, since wav and mp3 or both lossy (44khz wav can't properly
reconstruct signals with more then 22khz).