Re: Good Debian-based distro

On Sunday 10 August 2003 8:48 am, Loren M Lang wrote:

> I'm looking for a good debian-based distro with a good and user friendly
> install program.  I love debian much better than redhat based distros
> mostly for the packaging system, especially all those apt-* commands.
> Though for my less linux experienced friends, I have to install debian
> for them if I want to get them to use it.  I've heard of Libranet, Corel,
> and Xandros OS that are debian based but haven't tried any of them.  Any
> recommendations or should I just have them use redhat or mandrake?

Knoppix.  It's almost magic.

The only problem is that it is set up to run from the distribution CD, and
the script to install to the hard disk is not announced very clearly.  In
fact, they warn you that this script is only in early stage of development.
However, it works fine, with the proviso that you have to install into one
partition (>2.2GB, approx) - if you want to separate /home onto another
partition, this is trivial to do straight after the installation.

The script is called knx-hdinstall or kpx-fdinstall or something permutation
like that, and runs from the command line when you open a console in Knoppix
(i.e. it is already on the path).  There are a few helpful comments about the
hd install out there - google "knoppix hard disk install" will find them.
You will have to set up networking afterwards, but it does an amazing job of
setting everything up.

HTH
--
richard