Re: 2.4.21 kernel boot problems

Wolfgang Fischer <Wolfgang_.fischer@freenet.de> wrote:
> you should always run make oldconfig after upgrading your kernel.

I was worried about doing that because I saw a statement that "make
oldconfig" can do much prompting.

But as you suggested, I did it.  There *were* a lot of prompts, and
there wasn't always help for each item.  Fortunately, most of the
prompts are to support new hardware that I don't have, so almost all
of them were "n".  Also, I brought up "make xconfig" in another
window, as it appeared to have help in a few cases when "make
oldconfig" did not (unless I clicked the wrong row).

But that got me a working kernel, using gcc-2.95.  I then turned off
some things that I shouldn't be using: devfs, Firewire, Bluetooth, and
so forth.  I also switched to gcc-3.2.  The new kernel failed to boot,
with just the same messages as before.  I then re-enabled devfs, but
nothing that depends on it:

CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set

That was the one change that got it working: although there are a
couple of boot time error messages about not being able to find
/etc/mtab and a few others (messages that didn't make it into dmesg,
blast it, so I can't show them here), the rest of the boot and the
running system work fine.

Many thanks for the suggestion!  It *is* puzzling why devfs has to be
there at all, much less missing the other two parameters.

--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd@panix.com; work is tmcd@us.ibm.com.