Re: linux cluster

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 03:19, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Nyc0n wrote:
>
> > What is a linux cluster and what does it do? I have 3 linux servers that
> > I could cluster together, but what is the benefit? What would I actually
> > gain by clustering?  I mean technically speaking they are in a cluster
> > right now, they are clustered all over my room..lol
>
> you have "ha" clusters and "compute" clusters
[snip]
> - ha cluster -- if one machine fails, the remaining servers can take
>   over and nobody will notice the dead "www" server
>  	- you can do the same with a good backup scheme but if a system
> 	dies, you have to change a backup machine called "www.backup" to
> 	become the new "www machine" to make it go live after a failure
> 	( can be good or bad to do things manually .. pov ... )

That's so limiting.  A Real Cluster[1] will allow all nodes to access
all files at the same time.  Linux/Unix has no transparent way to
do this, except, partially, GFS and OpenGFS.

[1] Yes, I use VMSclusters on a daily basis.  Very useful, totally
transparent, extremely expensive...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |