Re: On Woody: (No) Sound with VIA 686a Southbridge, AC 97

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:20:12 +0200, Caidence wrote:

> I've had this large tangle with getting my sound to work.  I know it
> works, I had it working before with support compiled into the kernel...
> but I recompiled the kernel, and forgot the working settings and didn't
> save the config, so it's as good as gone.  All I know is what doesn't
> work, and that _it can_.

Maybe your old config file is still in /boot/config-version.

In my 2.4.21 kernel, I have an option called "VIA 82C686 Audio Codec".

If this doesn't help, you can try to compile support for many sound cards
(OSS?) as module. Then you can try which one works.