Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:32:50 -0700
Alan Connor <alanconnor@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > From ats@acm.org Thu Aug  7 11:30:45 2003
> > Alan Connor <alanconnor@earthlink.net> writes:
> > > But the widespread use of CR systems would eliminate spam from the face
> > > of the earth.
> > What do you do about spam that goes to mailing list?
> The traditional spamfighting strategies just don't work. Period.
> CR does.

    Alan, just stop.  I've gone out of my way to provide stats on my
traditional setup which doesn't work and shown it does, indeed, work.  Quite
well.  Furthermore you have made several boasts which are simply not true
about C-R.

1: No harassing mail ever:
Wrong, someone can harass you, they just have to respond to the challenge.

2: No spam ever:
Wrong, mailing list spam which you "simply ignore".

    Furthermore you've never once addressed the problem of false positives.
You wave your hand as if you hold some magic to make it all go away for
everyone.  You don't.  So just STOP already.  Until you decide to provide real
facts you're just being an ass.