Re: How do I configure iptables to allow DNS lookups?

Jeremy Gaddis wrote:

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 22:02, Malcolm Ferguson wrote:
I have /etc/resolv.conf containing a nameserver entry. I also have some name servers listed in the forwarders section of etc/bind/named.conf. Is there a way to configure both bind and the normal name resolver (how does it work???) to always use the same port?

From /etc/bind/named.conf (Debian box):

 // If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
 // to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
 // directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
 // questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 and later use an unprivileged
 // port by default.

 query-source address * port 53;

Hah: thanks! That was right under my nose. I guess I've been ignoring that section for a while now as I haven't tried this before. I should probably point resolv.conf at the local server too.

Cheers,
Malc