Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look at

First-of-all, thanks to B. for helping me get my from header straightened out.

> From richard@the-place.net Wed Aug  6 16:43:57 2003
>

> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 21:33, Lance Simmons wrote:
> [...]
> > My spam box is full of plausible sounding subjects from familiar
> > sounding names.
>
> You're unlucky.  Mine is full of things like "Improve your life w
> eokglo ruu fhrcf" from "Jed Wray" <ykphdkh@ono.es>.  I have thousands
> of them - with tell-tale garbage in the Subject line and obviously
> fake from addresses.  I wonder why they do it...
>
> And the ones with plausible subjects are mostly of three types:
>  1 - empty
>      (the purpose of these is a mystery to me).
>  2 - masses of nonsense html and random word lists, such as:
>        "...coxcomb merchandising exaggerates bravely humidifying
>         exhibits adaptation acclaims adulation talents schooler
>         meditating port theme bobbing tensional creators pocket
>         taxicab..."
>      (I suppose these are aimed at spam filters, but the effort
>      seems wasted, as there is usually _no_ meaningful text and
>      only broken links.
>  3 - empty but with an incomplete or broken base64-encoded... well
>      something:  as they are broken, I don't have the first idea
>     what the sender thought they were sending.
>
> So about 80% of my spamcan is unreadable anyway.  I wonder why they do
> it...
>
> It is easy to get annoyed and self-righteous about spam, but really,
> it is mostly just pathetic...

It IS pathetic, Richard. Like that fellow who sends me , a linux runner, a
dozen M$ viruses a week. And about a quarter of the addresses on his list
are obviously invalid. Like <xxxxx@xxx.xxxx>

At least I assume he is still sending them. Don't get spam anymore.

Alan

--
      For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam with the Mailbox-Sentry-Program.
         See: http://tinyurl.com/inpd  for the scripts and docs.