Re: RealTek 8139 and Kernel 2.4.21

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:20:54 -0400, Robert Tilley <tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

> All of the helpful comments were most appreciated.
>
> I solved my problem by apt-get'ing kernel-image-2.4.21-3-686.  For
> some reason, kernel images are different from a kernel compiled from
> source.
>
> Go figure.

Erm, not really. The only modifications, unless they are explicitly
patched, come in the form of Debian developers placing the proper stuff
in the source packages to allow easily rebuilding and to abide by
policy.

Otherwise, the Linux code is essentially the same. But kernel images, of
course, are customized to the builder's specifications as they are
already precompiled.

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer	    <sl@eskimo.com>
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt  <sl@moslug.org>