Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look at

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:10:03AM -0700, Alan Connor wrote:

> Spammers DO send false CRs, but they are EASY to spot.

I suppose they are easy to spot _if_ you remember all the Subject
headers and addresses to which you send mail.  Suppose I decided to send
you a private reply about this very message.  Do I remember the Subject
heading?  No.  Do I remember your email address?  No.  (For that matter,
do I even remember your _name_?)

> A real one will have: Subject: Re:
> The_Subject_of_Your_Original_Message AND the Reply-To:  header will
> have the address that you mailed it to, making

My spam box is full of plausible sounding subjects from familiar
sounding names.

--
Lance Simmons