Re: upgrade from potato to woody

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:11:14AM -0500, Shashank Bhide wrote:

> How do I upgrade from Potato to woody?
>
> What do I need to change in the sources.list file?

The official part of my sources.list file looks like this:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free

I use 'woody' instead of 'stable' so that if I somehow manage to miss
the sarge freeze, I won't end up with aptitude inadvertently trying to
upgrade huge swathes of my system when sarge becomes the new stable.

After editing that, you need to run "apt-get update" to make apt aware
of the newly-added sources...
Then, the command to actually make the change to woody is "apt-get
dist-upgrade"

Keep in mind, though: There are various packages that some people
recommend upgrading with apt-get install *before* doing the
dist-upgrade. The only ones I remember off-hand are apt and aptitude. I
seem to remember there was some debate as to whether this is actually
necessary.

PS: this is not something I've actually tried myself, so you might want
to see if anyone more experienced jumps in with better advice.

	HTH
--