winbind/pam/apache

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:32:08PM -0500, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> Subject: Re: Ooops. I've broken my command line.
> chris harrison wrote:
>
> >I seem to have broken the cardinal rule of tinkering - I'm not
> >able to back out the change because I'm not sure what I've broken.
> >
> >I've been trying to configure my machine (woody) to authenticate
> >with the PDC on the local win2k network, using samba, winbind and
> >pam.
> >

> Without accounts on the local machine?! Oh, man, if you get this done,
> write up a how-to. Please. Seriously.

When/if I finally get it working, I'll try and document what I've done!

At the moment I'm stuck with Apache - I have the mod_auth_pam
module installed and have a local .htaccess file which has
AuthPAM enabled and require is to need a valid-user.

When I attempt to login with a domain user name, the auth.log
reports that winbind has returned success
	pam_winbind[xxx]: user 'DOMAIN+user' granted access
but then Apache just hangs there and does nothing.

Is this because that domain name is not a valid user for the
local setup? I didn't think that I needed it because pam.d/httpd
points to winbind so that would be enough to authenticate the
user?

(Oh, incidentally, I'm not sure what the issue with the
login problem that I posted about yesterday. I took the part
brave, part stupid decision to reboot the machine and it
was, fortunately, ok from there. I guess it was just a
combination of installing new things and whatever that
just got it confused and starting fresh did the trick.)