Re: finding upstream

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:50:43PM -0500, Bob McElrath wrote:
> It is, in general, difficult to find the upstream developers of a given
> debian package.  The package page does not include any mention of a web
> site or mailing list where actual development occurs.  The .dsc files
> also do not generally list how to find upstream.

This is normally the purpose of /usr/share/doc/*/copyright, and by and
large it fulfils that purpose well.

> I suggest that when there is an upstream, debian should include a link
> to it on the package page (for instance, a link to the sourceforge
> project page or the project's home page), and/or a development mailing
> list if one exists.

I don't think there's any disagreement that this would be useful, but
it's up to individual package maintainers to do this. The
packages.debian.org pages are generated from package descriptions and
dependencies.

> The same information should be in the .dsc file for the package
> somehow.

I disagree; it should be in the package description, i.e. the .deb.
That's where we put descriptive metadata.

Cheers,