Re: apt and changelogs

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:10:19PM -0500, Matt Peter wrote:
> hello,
> Is there a debian-way of viewing the changelog for an app?  I can
> usually find them .gz'd up on my system, but it's a hassle, is there
> any simple way to view a changelog?

talk about FAQ! second time today!!

look at the thread starting with [🔎] 200308041600.48560.newsScott@gmx.de
with subject line "Easy/Fast way to view a package's debian/changelog"

or install apt-listchanges

[503]hugh@anni:~$ apt-cache show apt-listchanges
Package: apt-listchanges
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 300
Maintainer: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.39
Depends: python (>= 2.2.2), apt (>= 0.5.3), python-apt, debconf, ucf
Suggests: x-terminal-emulator, www-browser, debianutils
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-listchanges/apt-listchanges_2.39_all.deb
Size: 43186
MD5sum: 3a33050ba4003250a82ad2850b9f9624
 apt-listchanges is a tool to show what has been changed in a new
 version of a Debian package, as compared to the version currently
 installed on the system.  It does this by extracting the relevant
 entries from the Debian changelog file, usually found in
 It can be run on several .deb archives at a time to get a list of all
 of the changes that would be effected by installing or upgrading a
 group of packages.  It can be configured to do this automatically
 during upgrades using apt.