Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

Also sprach Alan Connor (Mon 04 Aug 02003 at 01:18:18PM -0700):
> > From cmetzler@speakeasy.net Mon Aug  4 13:11:52 2003
> >
> > You might want to read about PGP, and public key infrastructures, a bit
> > more.
> >
> > http://web.bham.ac.uk/N.M.Queen/pgp/pgp.html
> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3341468184.html
>
> Thanks Chris. Still doesn't make sense to me and I am seriously considering
> writing a stanza in my newsreaders filters that will dump any posts with
> PGP sigs.
>
> 1) Neither I nor anyone I know cares if you are who you say you are or not.
>    ( In fact, someone could forge your PGP sig  because most people don't
>      have the software, and do you MORE harm that way. How would you prove
>      which of  two nearly simultaneous posts with the EXACT same PGP sig on them
>      was the real one. )

So what?  That you or anyone else doesn't care that I can prove what I
said, and what I did not say, on the Internet, is of no consequence to
me.  Rather, that I can prove that these are my words, is of utmost
consequence to me.

If it is so easy to forge PGP sigs, let's see you do it on your next
post.  C'mon, I dare ya ;>

> 2) They are a an extreme violation of netiquette

Like your lackadaisical efforts to follow threads?  Or, your poor
editing of quoted previous posts?  How about the fact that you're using
a From: address that does *NOT* exist?  Your ignorance and childishness
is beguiling -- look to the lengths of threads in which you participate
-- but, you, Alan, are the last pundit of netiquette to whom I'd turn ;<

> 3) They are a waste of bandwidth on several levels

Like what?  Care to elaborate on this?  Or, are you concerned that your
blather is of that same ilk?

> 4) They make posts hard to read and ugly.

A lot less difficult than your editing, and failure to follow threads,
and reply-to, and . . .

By golly, he's right!

--
Best Regards,