Re: Mozilla 1.3 about:plugins->crash

> > > Is this expected behavior if some of the plugins are built with an
> > > incompatible gcc, or is something else going on?
> >
> > I'm not sure, but it might be.  Have you tried removing or moving aside
> > all of the plugins-- e.g. mv /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins{,-hold} -- and
> > seeing if Moz still crashes?  If it doesn't, then you can restore the
> > plugins one by one and see which one causes the crashes.
>
> A good suggestion.  It crashes with an empty plugin directory; it also
> crashes with just libnullplugin.so in the directory.
>
> I've looked in logs, and don't see anything associated with the
> crash.  My .xsession-errors gets quite a lot of chatter from Mozilla
> starting up:
>
> Invalid entry (missing '=') at /usr/bin/mozilla:38
> Invalid entry (missing '=') at /usr/bin/mozilla:43
> Invalid entry (missing ']') at /usr/bin/mozilla:65
> Invalid entry (second locale!?) at /usr/bin/mozilla:194
> kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file /usr/bin/mozilla has no
> Name
>
> but nothing when it crashes.  The system logs show
>
> Aug  3 21:47:30 wheat gconfd (ross-30737): starting (version 2.2.1), pid
> 30737 user 'ross' Aug  3 21:47:30 wheat gconfd (ross-30737): Resolved
> address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only config
> source at position 0 Aug  3 21:47:30 wheat gconfd (ross-30737): Resolved
> address "xml:readwrite:/home/ross/.gconf" to a writable config source at
> position 1 Aug  3 21:47:30 wheat gconfd (ross-30737): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only config source
> at position 2 Aug  3 21:49:30 wheat gconfd (ross-30737): GConf server is
> not in use, shutting down.

What a mess.  The errors in /usr/bin/mozilla (a shell script-- you can crack
it open and see what's going on if you want to) suggest a bad installation.
Those look like syntax errors-- not good in the startup script.

If I were you I would uninstall, delete /usr/lib/mozilla, and reinstall (maybe
a more recent version-- 1.4 is stable now).

You may also want to try using the Debian unstable packages, instead of
building from source.  apt-get -t unstable install mozilla will give you
version 1.4.  Then, add

deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-cache search mozilla
and you'll see the following packages: flashplayer-mozilla, acroread-plugin,
and mplayer-mozilla.  Install these and you'll probably be most of the way to
solving your plugin problem.

Good luck,
Andrew.