xemacs21-gnome-mule show w/o frame when called as xemacs

I have xemacs21-gnome-mule configured under alternatives to be attached
to xemacs21 which in turn is pointed to bu xemacs.
When I call it using xemacs, the window comes up with no frame. The
printout I can see that says something other then default is in to
status line (or however they call it) saying "loading 50sawfish...done"
when removing the personal settings files.
When starting using xemacs21 or xemacs21-gnome-mule it comes up fine.
Also when running xemacs21-mule the same way (through alternatives) it
doesn't show that problem.
I am running gnome with sawfish, unstable version.