Re: [OT] Utility to lookup hosts on an IP address

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 11:38, Dave Carrigan wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 01:47:37PM +0000, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > Is there a tool along the lines of nslookup, dig, host, and so on that
> > can list what websites, i.e. domain names, are hosted on a particular IP
> > address ??
>
> No. The host command will tell you what the reverse name of an IP
> address is:
>
>   $ host www.rudedog.org
>   www.rudedog.org         CNAME   gw.rudedog.org
>   gw.rudedog.org          A       206.124.142.242
>   $ host 206.124.142.242
>   Name: dsl-142-242.sea.blarg.net
>   Address: 206.124.142.242
>
> However, there is no way to figure out that 206.124.142.242 is
> www.rudedog.org, www.chezcarrigan.com, gallery.chezcarrigan.com, etc.
>
> The only feasible way to do that would be to transfer every single DNS
> zone on the known internet(*) and find the A records that pointed to
> 206.124.142.242, and even then, that wouldn't tell you exactly what you
> want to know.

To be certain that you're getting all of the possible websites on a
particular IP the above would be necessary. However, going under the
assumption that most websites that are on the same IP will use the same
nameserver as well, it might be a good start to just get the A records
on that particular nameserver.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837