Re: "undead" network interface

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 00:22, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:24, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:30:11 +0200, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> >
> > > However, from everything I
> > > know about bit torrent (I don't use it myself) I had thought that it
> > > would only establish connections WHILE you were downloading something.
> > >
> > > Any ideas/suggestions?
> >
> > Pull the plug. (I mean the Ethernet cable.) Seriously, you mean there's a
> > process running which ifup's eth0? That requires root permissions.  What
> > process would that be?
>
> The only thing that he runs that runs setuid anything that I know of is
> GDM and I believe X. (If I'm not mistaken X runs suid root?) But that's
> it. He's logged in as himself, not as root, and he doesn't run any
> programs as root. All he really uses the computer for is email, chat,
> web browsing, and downloading. I know evolution doesn't run suid, I know
> gaim doesn't run suid, I know galeon doesn't run suid, I know bit
> torrent and gtk-gnutella don't run suid, so I'm rather lost.

Okay, I'm WAY, WAY behind in the mailing list at the moment (over 1400
messages unread :O ) but I think I see what might be part of the
bandwidth problem - gtk-gnutella - if someone outside is calling in and
grabbing stuff from his system, and particularly perchance he may have a
half-duplex ethernet card, that could be a bottleneck right there.

Beyond that, it appears that eth0 interface is likely being launched on
demand by something (anything) on the local machine - possibly even
something as simple as ntp or evolution checking a mail server not on
that box.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org