Solved, Re: Hawking Fast Ethernet Cardbus 10/100 Woody

Jesse Meyer wrote:
>[I've got the same card,] FCC ID of "MQ4C2K5MX"
> [...] under the 2.4 debian kernel, I have
> got the card to work, but only using the 2.4 boot floppy kernel and the
> package pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4.  The driver seems to be 'tulip_cb',
> the regular 'tulip' driver in the kernel does not seem to work.

I poked around some more.  I never did get the hang of building
"Debianized" kernels; I've always used the upstream kernel source.
When I installed the current upstream pcmcia-cs, and Debian's hotplug
package, the tulip.o in my /lib/modules/2.4.21 started working!

For the record, it seems there are two ways to support PCMCIA cards.
You have to choose the kernel's internal drivers -or- the ones
that come with Dennis Hinds' pcmcia-cs.
Debian uses pcmcia-cs, but packages the driver modules separately
as pcmcia-drivers.
Jesse reports tulip_cb from there works, and I can now report
success with the tulip and mii modules from the 2.4.21 kernel.

In my case, the hotplug package was the missing piece.
(Perhaps this is a packaging issue.  Maybe the Cardbus drivers
should be in their own package, with hotplug a dependency.)

The Cardbus Tulip is noticeably faster than the PCcard 3CCFEM556.
3Com discontinued the 3CCFEM556.  It's too bad, because that card also
contains the best modem I ever used.  The 3CCFEM656B which replaced
it uses Cardbus, but it's got a friggin' winmodem!

Cameron