Bind9 on Woody - "Bad dotted quad"

I've installed the bind9 package and tried to configure it to work with my
little internal network.  When I start it up I get an error message telling
me "bad dotted quad" saying it's from the zone configuration file for my
network which uses the 192.168.0 network numbers.  When I replace this with
a public number it passes that line and goes on to the next machine with a
192.168.1.0 number.  It appears that bind is refusing to accept a
non-routable number from the zone file.  Am I reading this right?  What is
the workaround.  I can't be the only person using these number internally!

Thanks,

John Purser