Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On -6007-Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:57:30PM -0700, Alan Connor <alanconnor@earthlink.net> spake thus,
> What people mean when they say they are fed up with spam, is that they are
> fed up with SOME spam, but want to get the others.
>
> There simply is no way that a "negative" approach will work. The "don't pass"
> list is infinite and its characteristics are ever-changing.

True, but the approach seems to work for me. I used to have an inbox
filled daily with 10-20 UCEs, and now I get MAYBE 2.

> So they end up spending good money on programs that kill things they would
> like to see, and don't kill things they find objectionable, because these
> programs are obsolete  a week after they are released.

SpamAssassin is free, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they pay
for "no-pass" software.

> To stop spam you have to decide who you WANT to hear from, and dump EVERYTHING
> else.
>
> You cannot accept any mail that doesn't have a valid return address.

Fair enough.

> > I can't say any of those have landed in my inbox, though ;-) Straight
> > to ~/mail/spam with no stops in between.
> >

> See? You aren't blocking spam, you are saving mail that MIGHT be spam
> to a directory and then reading through it.

No, I don't read through it. But if someone says "Hey, did you get
that e-mail I sent you two days ago that was about free credit card
long distance porno?" I can be pretty sure where to recover it from.
I still rely on other forms of communication to tip me off to the
possibility that SpamAssassin marked something it shouldn't have.

> Why? Because SpamAssasin doesn't work, and will never work.

It works well enough for me, and quite a few other people. I realize
it isn't 100% effective, but I never asked for a magic salve that
would make all UCEs go away.

> If the headers have been monkeyed with to the point that procmail can't
> process it, it goes to /dev/null. Non-conforming headers are a SURE sign
> that a mail is spam, because they are trying to get past your filters.
>
> Which they do, with programs like SpamAssasin.

Infrequently, but it does happen. Yesterday I discovered a way that I
can have a THREE FOOT PENIS! That's exciting.

--
Aaron Bieber
-