Re: RH to Debian migration

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 08:38, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>  --- Wolfgang Fischer <Wolfgang_.fischer@freenet.de> escribió:
> > > 1 fileserver (2x80GB RAID-0) houses user home directories, is the print
> > > server
> > Using RAID0 for a fileserver like this is very inefficient. If users open
> > a small file, both disks have to read a part of the file. I'd recommend
> > you to make 2 independent disks, each for some home directories. RAID0 is
> > only an advantage if you need really fast sequential file access. As all
> > data will be transfered via network, the speed of one disk will be enough.
> > Furthermore, a disk failure won't destroy all data.
>
> The file server has a Promise RAID, and the former admin told me that the disks
> were just mirrored (he said it was RAID0, but I am not familiar with the
> RAID specifications).  They way he explained it is that if one drive goes down,
> the backup contains an identical copy of all data.

RAID0 - striping - if 1 disk dies, there goes all your data!
RAID1 - mirroring - if 1 disk dies, your data is still safe.

And like the others, I recommend making the firewall it's own box.
Dumpster dive for a old box...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |