Re: system has started e-mailing me, cron demon

You might wanna chance those lines to "nice -19 run-parts --report /etc/cron.<interval>". I don't know if that's the problem, but it might be ;)

Also, check in your cron directories to see if there's a crontab entry that restarts crontab. That's what's likely to be causing the problem. Crontab emails you any output generated by the crontab entries, and that would indicate at some point, cron is being (re)started. Do something like a "grep -r "cron" `find -name "/etc/cron*" -print`" (without quotes, of course).

Stephen Touset

"nice -19 run-parts --report /etc/cron.<interval>" ran with no messages, however the comment about cron being (re)started is interesting.

My /etc/anacrontab ... contains

# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron

# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=web

# These replace cron's entries
1       5       cron.daily       nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
7       10      cron.weekly      nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
30      15      cron.monthly nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly

While my /etc/cron.d/anacron ... contains

# /etc/cron.d/anacron: crontab entries for the anacron package

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=web

30 1 * * * root test -x /etc/init.d/anacron && /etc/init.d/anacron start 2>/dev/
null
anacron (END)

I just wanted /etc/cron.daily to run at 1am ish, changing /etc/anacrontab did not change the time, the time changed when I ammended /etc/cron.d/anacron, and the e-mails started !

I also introduced MAILTO=web, .... !

These scripts do seem to be duplicate, I doubt that /etc/anacrontab runs, since changing its cron.daily did nothing. I am going to remove MAILTO=web from /etc/cron.d/anacron & see what happens tonight !

Dave