Re: 3 questions about pre-compiled kernels in woody

Hello

Paul E Condon (<pecondon@peakpeak.com>) wrote:

> I have a set of CDs for 30r1 (woody) on i386.
> I see in dselect that there are several packages that
> use the 2.4.18 kernel. I have a classic pentium, which
> seems to referred to as i586. There seem to be two
> packages that provide kernel-image for this chip:
>
> kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2 and
> kernel-image-2.4.18tsc

I guess you mean kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc. kernel-image-2.4.18-386
will also work. Anything from Pentium Pro on is also supported by
kernel-image-2.4.18-686.

> Where can I find an explanation of the differences
> between these two?
> What does 'bf2' stand for?
> What does 'tsc' stand for?

"apt-cache show" can give you some information.

"bf" stands for "boot floppy". That's the 2.4 installation kernel.
The others (except 386) are built for special processor types of the x86
family.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--