Re: local user halt

* Stephen Touset (stephen@touset.dyndns.org) [030728 12:29]:
> Bruce Sass wrote:
> >On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> >>is there a method for allowing (besides root) local users (ordinary
> >>users sitting at the keyboard of the computer) the ability to use the
> >>shutdown command? i dont want those logged in via ssh or other remote
> >>method having this capability.
> >
> >CTRL-ALT-DEL
> >
> >see /etc/inittab
> >
> And if you have CTRL+ALT+DEL pointing to /bin/false like a sane
> sysadmin, using sudo is a good alternative ;)

If you want your users to be able to shut down the machine, it's plenty
sane to use ctrl+alt+del to do it, IMO.  For example, on my laptop I use
ctrl+alt+del to shutdown.  It's _way_ quicker than using sudo and then
giving my password.  As for accidentally shutting down, or having a
malicious user shut me down ... it's never happened.  Even if it did
once, it's not exactly a five-nines machine anyway.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/