Post dist-upgrade wierdness

Team:

A recent apt-get update and apt-get -s upgrade showed about 94 packages
to be upgraded on my testing box.  Since it was so many packages, and
dist-upgrade is reputed to be more gentle that upgrdae, I did an

apt-get dist-upgrade

all went well, except:

1.  I lost everything but tcsh from my shells group in my Black Box
menus.  This has happened in the past, and after a few days and a few
apt-get upgrades, bash, ash, and ksh magically returned . . .

2.  I lost the abililty to save a .gif in the gimp.  I apt-get removed
and apt-get installed both gimp1.2 and gimp1.2-nonfree to no avail.

Any ideas?

madmac