Re: SUCCESS compiling iscan

Epson Kowa released a 1.5.2 version of their iscan scanner software
compiled with gcc 3.2 recently (it has some binaries that aren't free,
and source that is).  I had some trouble getting it to
work, but just solved the last problem.

Note also that libgtk1.2-dev is required.

Here's a copy of my message about it:

I am happy to report complete success, thanks to help from epson kowa.
The solution could also be guessed from a recent post to this list
[referring to the bulletin board at
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/cgi-bin/iscan/e_bbs/bbs.cgi] .

In sane.d/dll.conf I added an entry for "epkowa".  I also commented
out "epson", but that may not be necessary.

Then I created sane.d/epkowa.conf (by copying my existing epson.conf).

Then everything worked.  iscan runs on its own and as a gimp plugin.
Although some people have reported the scan results are blank, mine
are fine.

Since I installed iscan in a non-standard location I had to set up
some symlinks from /usr/lib/sane to get this to work, and of course
the gimp plugin needs a symlink to activate it.