Re: Mouse configuration

Hello

Italian Superstar wrote:

> Hi. I am having problems configuring my mouse properly with Debian. When
> i run startx, the GUI is activated and all is fine except i can't use my
> mouse. I have a wireless Microsoft Optical Mouse and a Wireless
> Multimedia keyboard (as a package). What do I need to do to make it
> work? Also, my sound doesn't work. I use a Creative Sound Blaster PCI
> card. Any response will be appreciated. Thanx.

Mouse:
Make sure you have loaded the necessary driver modules. If your mouse is
connected via PS/2, you won't need to load drivers, but if you use usb,
you need the driver for your usb interface (e.g. usb-uhci), and probably
also the hid and mousedev modules. Then your XFree must be configured to
use the right device and protocol. You can edit your config file manually
(look for Section "InputDevice") or use debconf (type dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86). If you use PS/2, set the device to /dev/psaux, as far
as I know USB mice use /dev/input/mice. I don't know about your mouse,
but most of them seem to work with the IMPS/2 protocol. If it still
doesn't work, give us more info, like the part of your
/var/log/XFree86.0.log regarding the mouse and the InputDevice Section of
your XFree config file.

Sound: make sure you have loaded the right driver. Not all SB PCI cards
use the same one. The SB Live! series uses the emu10k1 driver, I don't
know the name of the driver for older cards like SB AWE.

And make sure that you are member of the "audio" group, otherwise sound
will only work as root.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--