Re: Wanted to build: bare minimum Debian system

At 2003-07-25T03:16:19Z, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Hope you've got 192MB swap (16x RAM).

Actually, I have 512MB swap (the drive was migrated from a Webplayer that
I'd hacked).

> Imagine how fast that, say, "apt-get update" is going to be.

You can't.  Really.  It's that bad.

> Maybe with an XFree 3.3.6 and twm.

*Thin* client.  As in, *no* clients running locally.

>> Is the 2.2.x series significantly smaller?

> Yes.

Good.  That's a nice starting point.

>> Is Debian even reasonable on this tiny box, or should I be looking at a
>> slimmer distribution?  If so, any suggestions?

> Slink may be more appropriate.

Mmmm....  I'd rather use somewhat-new-but-very-little than
ancient-but-small.

> That's a joke, right?  How about Evo and Pan while you're at it?

That's the idea.
--
Kirk Strauser