Re: RedHat more debian like?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:20:11PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 22:11, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:24:54AM +0200, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> > > It looks like RH will become more debian like in the sense that they
> > > will alow the community to mantain packages, and to participate in
> > > the development cycle of their products.
> >
> > I wonder if this transparent attempt to get free labour for a
> > commercial venture will pay off.
>
> Since there's still only(?) GPL s/w in RH9, and they give it away
> for free from FTP, why complain?

IBM abandoned its own version of Unix in favor of using GNU/Linux.
RedHat is moving toward business IT and away from consumer/hobbyist
customers, i.e. getting more like IBM. Maybe RedHat will abandon its
own distribution and, instead, just put business software on CDs that
they take to customer sites. Maybe they will include in the set of
CDs, a set of Debian CDs for the basic stuff that every computer needs.
Maybe they will contribute to Debian just as IBM engineers contribute
to Linux. From a business point of view, it might make sense for them
to concentrate on making business customers happy and not try to cover
all technical aspects of a full-up distribution.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com