Re: virtual terminals

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 08:52, Jeff Wiegley wrote:
> The file you probably want is /etc/inittab.
>
> the lines in my (unstable) setup that control the virtual
> terminals are:
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
> 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
> 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
> 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
> 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
>
> But notice that only tty1 is started if I am in run level 5.
>
> I just migrated to Debian myself. Just installing the
> x-windows-systems metapackage and kdm caused the kdm
> manager to launch and switch to what would be
> virtual terminal 7.  BUT I AM STILL IN RUN LEVEL 2!!
> (I think. at least thats the default run level from
> inittab.)
>
> So what may have happened is that you may be more use
> to the RedHat way of doing things and you may have
> edited /etc/inittab to fire up at runlevel 5 the way
> RedHat gets X going. If you've done this then you
> accidentally disabled the other virtual terminals.
>
> I didn't have to change anything in /etc/inittab.
> My basic installation runs at runlevel 2 and
> launchs the graphical login manager with the same
> results as RedHat's system.
>
> - Jeff
>
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 22:02, dm wrote:
> > Ok quick question, my girlfriend's system after installing a display manager (gdm, xdm, or kdm) only starts one virtual terminal.  This was awhile ago when she was in testing, now she is in unstable, this has been bothering her for a while now, and I would like to fix it, what config file do I need to change.
> >

> > Thank you in advance, dm.

Debian unlike redhat doesn't have a different runlevel for graphical
login.
Debian uses runlevel 2 by default and if xdm/gdm/kdm/... are installed
it uses them.
If you wan't to change this behaviour the place to look would be
/etc/inittab
The default is 6 terminals no matter if X login is enabled, so it has
either been changed or something else is a problem, can you post the
file?
Wasn't completely clear, from the message is the only terminal the X
login or is there another text terminal. Just in case, you are aware
that to switch between X and a regular terminal you need Alt-Ctrl-F<term
num> and between regulat terminals Alt-F<term num>.

On the lines as appearing above in /etc/inittab make sure that the
number 2 appears between the first and second : characters (where
marked) for each terminal you want to enable.

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

And make sure that the default runlevel is actually set to 2 as follows:
id:2:initdefault: