Re: installation of package installer

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:10:07 +0200, Sam Virgillo wrote:

> I have an embedded version of Debian running on an Intel 486 single
> board computer.  I cannot find the Apt-get program or the dpkg program
> to install packages.  If I download these apps from your site they are
> in the .deb package format and I have no way to install them (catch 22).
> Can I get just a .tar or .gz file of these or other apps?

You can unpack any .deb file with the "ar" utility. In it, you'll find a
tar.gz archive with the actual files. Alternatively, there should be a
tar.gz with a basic Debian installation somewhere on the FTP.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!