OT: Four leads = 10Mbit? (was: Network speed)

>If it's running at 10Mbit, it will never be full duplex.  If you're
>running at 100, then it could be full or half.  If your network cables
>only have four leads connected, you're using 10.

I´ve noticed that some of the most recent 100Mbit cards I've been buying (Genius
low end cards, model GF100TXR4) have only four connection points on the RJ45
slot. However, the cards *do* work at 100Mbits. Anybody with the technical
knowledge on the subject could please explain that? Why do 3Coms have all 8
leads, while low-end use only 4? how does it affect the quality of connection?
Are all 8 leads really used?

Regards,

Breno Moiana
Analista de Suporte - Partek Forest Ltda.
fone: +55 41 6672828
fax: +55 41 6673100
mailto: breno.moiana@partekforest.com
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

"Ciência é conhecimento organizado. Sabedoria é vida organizada."
    -- Immanuel Kant