Re: incomplete shutdown?

Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> writes:

> I managed to eliminate the graphic login by unlinking the k, x, and g
> desktops in /etc/rc2.d.  That did what I expected, and allowed me to
> login at the terminal.  But 'shutdown now' seems to only partly shut
> down, leaving me with a 'Enter root password... or ctl-D for...'
> message.  Is it okay to power down from that state?

No.  The default action of shutdown(8) is to drop down to single-user
mode; if you pressed C-d here, your system would come back up
(probably in runlevel 2).  While most of the system daemons have been
shut down, you haven't done things like unmount filesystems that are
important for a clean shutdown.  You probably mean 'shutdown -h now';
type 'man shutdown' for more information.

	-- Abra Mitchell