Re: incomplete shutdown?

On Thu, July 24 at  2:09 PM EDT
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

>I managed to eliminate the graphic login by unlinking the k, x, and g
>desktops in /etc/rc2.d.  That did what I expected, and allowed me to
>login at the terminal.  But 'shutdown now' seems to only partly shut
>down, leaving me with a 'Enter root password... or ctl-D for...'
>message.  Is it okay to power down from that state?  Sorry if that is
>a dumb question, but I'm new to debian.

Did you "unlink" the K as well as the S links?  The K links would be the
ones killing the processes.  I would log in as root again, manually kill
them, then shutdown -h now or shutdown -r now.  Hopefully they won't
restart on boot and you won't have that problem again.  I think a
preferred way is to rename the gdm to gdm.old in /etc/inittab and then
#update-rc.d gdm remove
Likewise for the others.

HTH,
Shawn Lamson