Re: fetchmail with antispam still clogged

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:45:13PM -0400, J F wrote:
| | Repost, the first post didn't make it thru. | | # fetchmail -v
| fetchmail: SMTP< 250-VRFY
| fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP

The '<' lines are received by fetchmail from your MTA.  This is just
the tail end of the 'ehlo' response.

| fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<user@notadomaina.com> SIZE=4018

fetchail says who the mail is from.

| fetchmail: SMTP< 550-5.4.3 reject sender 'user@notadomaina.com'.
| fetchmail: SMTP< 550-5.4.3 Failure trying to verify address target domain 'notadomaina.com'.
| fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.4.3 Reason given was:

You have your MTA configured to (permanently) reject mail for which it
can't verify the existance of the domain.

| I would like to not reject spam,

When the only client of your MTA is fetchmail, you can't realistically
reject stuff at that level anyways.  Reconfigure your MTA (looks like
it is smail, based on other debug output in your message) so that it
accepts everything passed to it.

-D

Yes, it is smail.  I will open it up.
Is there any danger of a spammers using my MTA
as a spam relay?

$ dnsdomainname
comcast.net
$ hostname
a1700xp

So I have my machine and my ISP name.
The machine is on my private lan with a router
and NAT keeping me safe from the ISP the internet.
I wonder if my dnsdomainname should be the ISP name (or localdomain
or an IP number)
since I am in my user private IP address range 192.168.2.X .
Is that the correct dnsdomainname for my setup?

I've got the default knoppix debian linux file
called:
$ view /etc/smail/config

Thanks Derrick,
-J F